Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Quick To Judge

I got busted yesterday!  I caught myself in the act of being judgmental and the powers from above smacked me back down right off my high and mighty perch.  Just when I thought I was near perfect....bahahaha!

Let me explain....
I recently "graduated" from the 9 hole golf group to the 18 hole golf group.  It was time and a bunch of us "graduated" together so none of us had to make the move to the scary, competitive, serious 18 hole group alone.  Yes, we are in junior high school!  Anyway, our fears were quickly put to rest when they welcomed us with open arms.  They were very hospitable as we sat wide eyed and expectant at our first meeting.

One of our fears about joining the group was that we would be put in the back of the pack with the very slow golfers every week.  We may not be great golfers but we are definitely not slow golfers!  We always found ourselves catching up to their last groups on the course on Tuesdays and then having to wait for them on each hole. Our fear was that we would be in "that" group once we joined.

Yesterday, was our play day.  As I found my cart and the other two women I was assigned to play with that day I had a sinking feeling.  I knew one of the women from our 9 hole group, but the other looked like one of the "slow" playing women I had waited behind several times before.  I'll call her Golfer Gal. I figured my day was going to be an exercise in patience.

Off we went, in the gusting cold wind.  Perfect!  Cold... slow... golf....my favorite!  I watched and waited for our pace to be set.  None of us were playing especially well with all that wind and all those layers we were wearing.  Golfer Gal was no better or worse than either of us and not noticeably slower.  She was much older than either of us too.  There was about a 30 year age difference between Golfer Gal and the other girl and I was somewhere in the middle.  We were definitely an eclectic group.

Anyway, on the 4th hole our younger friend had to go and pick up her son at pre-school (yes, she is much younger!)because he was sick.  This left me and Golfer Gal to pair up and play the rest of the round together.  Two people will be a lot faster than three I figured .  Golfer Gal moved into my cart and we finally had a chance to visit with each other.  Well....that's when I got busted!

Golfer Gal mentioned that she had only played on our course three times!  Being an astute person, I figured that meant she was definitely not one of the slow bunch we always caught up to last season.  Shame on me!  As we visited in the cart I found out a lot about Golfer Gal and our worlds collided on at least three fronts, and by less than two degrees of separation.  She is new to the area.  She has lived here for less than a month.  We ended up having a delightful round of golf and I think I made a new friend. Plus, Golfer Gal has got game!

I can't help but think there was a much greater power at work yesterday.  I needed to be put in my place and I also needed to meet Golfer Gal.  I am definitely enjoying the new group and will from here on out withhold my judgment.  "Judge not lest ye be judged."  I can't imagine what they all think of me.  "That pushy 9 holer who plays fast and stares us down on every hole!"  Yikes!  I need to work on my golf demeanor.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...