Monday, January 13, 2014

Bears Do It

Is it just me or does everyone else want to hibernate in January?  I just want to stay inside and sit around all day wearing yoga pants, reading a book or watching chick flicks and finally eat a nice stew or soup for dinner at 5:30.   There has to be some kind of metaphysical reason for this!  It seems to happen every January.  Call it the post holiday lull....the calm after the storm....or maybe the calm before the storm.  Call it whatever you want but give me a good book, some hot tea and a blanket and leave me alone!

The weather last week did not exactly lend itself to playing outside.  The beginning of the week was freezing!  Literally....
Photo evidence of the freezing temperatures!

Since we live in Houston, the end of the week was warm, humid and rainy and we were back to wearing shorts.  We live in "wardrobe confusion" all winter long down here.  The sun finally showed it's shy face on the weekend and the freeze of earlier this week was but a distant memory.  I had just hunkered down for my long winter's nap and now it feels like springtime.  I really just need a good nap, can it get cold again?

I, for one, love the cold.  I like cooking all those comfort foods.  I like bundling up in sweaters, scarves and jackets...even a coat!  I like having to use the fireplace.  I like hibernating....I must be part bear!  I would really like it for more than four days too!  Just try me Houston!  While most of the city has been complaining about the "cold" winter we have had, I sit and say, "Wow!  It finally feels like winter!  Whoo hoo!".

The desire to hibernate diametrically opposes all of those January resolutions.  How am I supposed to do all that exercise I resolved to do in the freezing temperatures or rain... when all I really feel like doing is watching The Wedding Planner for the hundredth time?  If I could just hibernate I would not be tempted to overeat....I'd be sleeping!  Sounds like a great weight loss program to me, sleep for a month....ahhhh.

Alas, I am not a bear and the sun is out again.  My four day hibernation is over and it feels like springtime in Houston.  I guess I have to go out and get some of that exercise stuff while the sun is shining!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...