Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tree Hugging

From all outward signs it was a dry and hot summer in Houston. I arrived home to find this...


Dead plants in all of my flower beds. I think there are at least 6 dead bushes in my beds, dry, brown and crispy.

Another surprise upon arrival was the carnage behind my house. The neighborhood association decided, without even consulting ME!, to remove 14 trees in the greenspace behind our house! I am heartbroken, stunned, shocked, blinded by the light that now streams in my windows in the afternoon! My once serene and tree shaded yard is now naked and sunny (not that there is anything wrong with sun but with a western exposure, in Houston, you want trees!). "They" say they are going to replant trees, but it will take years for the trees they plant to grow into trees. "They" are taking out large, mature trees and probably putting in twigs that will take years before they give me any shade or privacy. It is, after all...all about me, right? Obviously not.

So, not only did I have to leave this lovely, peaceful, wide open spaces view


I have no trees and a veiw of houses I have never seen (and frankly never expected to see), and they look a lot closer than I expected. Ugh!
Like I said before, re-entry can be bumpy. Don't even get me started on the weather.
On the upside, I have done some serious retail re-entry. After 2 months of shopping only at grocery stores and hardware stores, I have been indulging my inner diva and shopping like it's my job. Shoes...tops....dresses....pants....I have missed you all so much. Guess my next purchases will be shrubs to fill in the beds around the house. Hope it is a good growing season for my new shrubs....and those new trees "they" plant.
Welcome home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw man, and bummer. Sounds like you need to head to the picture store, blow up the beautiful shots you took at the shore, frame 'em and hang surrounding yourself with pictures of paradise - getting you through the winter.

Carol said...

I need to find what Album that photo of yours is - the one taken on your F.H. porch, through the wine glass. Absolutely perfect. And I don't even like wine! It's a masterpiece, Lisa!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...