Monday, June 9, 2014

Hunting and Gathering


Our house is full of people hunting, gathering and checking things off their to-do list.  Our Saudi friends are here and they are making a point of eating at as many restaurants as they can while they are in Houston.  They are busy shopping and buying things they can't get in Saudi Arabia.  I think every day they are checking a new item off their Houston bucket list.  They are going to ball games, soccer games, visiting friends, buying baby clothes, having a baby, stocking up on as much stuff as they can fit into their allotted 14 boxes for their trip back to Saudi. They left one home to come back to a familiar place and are taking in all the sights, tastes and activities they can before they have to go back.
No we are not moving!  This all goes back to Saudi with our friends!

I find myself in a similar situation this week.  I know I will be away from home for the next few months and I find myself eating out every day.  I have also been doing a lot of shopping, yes.. it's such a burden.  I won't see any of my favorite stores for three months!  I need to make sure I don't miss any summer styles, because we all know what a trendy gal I am!  I have been playing a lot of golf too.  I want to play as many rounds as possible with my friends before I leave.  I am even willingly playing in the brutal heat and humidity that has taken over Houston.  It is like a daily reminder that my decision to head back to the shore and cooler weather next week is not in vain.  In the meantime, I'm taking in Houston and gathering a few things to bring to the shore.

Our house looks like someone is either moving in or moving out.  Really, we are just a pack of squirrels gathering our nesting materials for our other lives.  There is something to be said for having the conveniences of home...away from home, especially when your home is across the globe and many things we take for granted are not readily available.  Another way to look at it is that part of the joy of being away from home is getting away from the "stuff" back home.  I find myself compromised on this lately.  I used to love going to the shore and living in our bare bones cottage.  Life was so much simpler.  It took about 10 minutes to clean the cottage every day.  There is something to be said about living a simple life without some of the conveniences you have back home.  Lately though, I seem to want my life up there to be just as comfortable as life down here.  I'm sure this is due to the fact that I spend three months instead of only weeks up there.  I am no longer just on vacation, I have relocated my life.  Another reason is that I'm just older and as much as I hate to admit it....I'm not as willing to live the spartan life anymore.  I've gotten old and soft... curses!

Thelma and Louise....heading to dinner!
Girls just want to have fun....
Last week was total indulgence to me!  It felt like that first couple of weeks of summer when you were in high school and you and your friends got together every day and enjoyed your new found freedom and the long sunny days and breezy nights.  I had dinner with girlfriends and sat outside talking for hours.  I played outside all day on the golf course and went to bed every night very tired.  It was the perfect taste of Houston to leave in my mouth until we come back in the fall.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...