Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Bluebonnets Now and Then

In three and a half weeks I will not be sitting on this sofa at 8:30 at night watching TV alone in my pj's all showered and ready for bed.  Actually, there aren't many nights you can find me in my pj's and ready for bed at 8:30 at night!  I'm not even sick... unless you count severe spring allergies sick.  I played golf (poorly) today in hurricane force winds and a shower and pj's made perfect sense to my weather beaten body and mind.  I figure I need to enjoy these days and nights while I can and rest up the next few weeks before wedding palooza.

Last Sunday was bridal portrait day.  The weather cooperated by raining and getting very chilly.  We  had grand illusions of heading north to the hill country to take advantage of the bluebonnets for the photo shoot.  Drizzle and temps in the 50's do not say "outdoor photo shoot"!  The bride scrambled around and made plan B which turned out better than plan A!  Things work out that way sometimes.
Nice changing room!

We, well the bride and the photographer, found a lovely old inn in Brenham, Texas that would let us use the property for the photos for a nominal fee.  The Ant Street Inn provided us with a room for the bride to change into the special white dress and places to take indoor and covered outdoor photos in case of rain.  It was just charming!  Brenham was very quiet on that dreary Sunday afternoon.  There was one bright spot in a white dress being followed by a photographer, her mom and her sister-in-law (aka hairdresser extraordinaire).  We got plenty of honks, thumbs up and congratulations as we paraded through the town.

One of the bedrooms had an old elevator right in the middle of the room.
We thought it looked a bit like an ancient S&M apparatus....but I digress...
.

Mother Nature smiled on us and the rain stopped a couple of hours before we got to Brenham.  The gray skies provided lovely light for the photos and the town was the perfect backdrop with its old brick walls, wrought iron fences, secluded courtyards and quaint downtown streets.
the covered upstairs patio at the Ant Street Inn
The only thing we were missing was a nice bluebonnet field.  Things had dried off enough and we were feeling brave enough to have the bride stand in a big blue field in the white dress.  The proprietor of the Inn told us where we could find a bluebonnet field nearby and we headed out to find it.

Bluebonnets minus the bride!  
You didn't think I was going to satisfy your curiosity and give you a sneak peak did you?
Even though it is killing me to do just that!
This week marks our fourth year back in Sugar Land.  If you had told me four years ago that I would be standing in yet another bluebonnet field in four years with my daughter dressed in a white dress I would have been as happy as I was on Sunday.  A lot has happened in those four years and this is one of the best things yet.  So for the next little while I'll try to remain calm and enjoy my evenings on the couch in my pj's.

2 comments:

Carol said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Katie in her gown among Bluebonnets. Amazing. You being able to share and help (tho you've filtered it well - I am sure it was stressful!), priceless. The Ant Inn looks like a stop I would love to make. So glad you are back in Texas - only 4 years? I'm doing well! I've been down to visit 3 times! SO looking forward to the 4th, mere weeks away!

Unknown said...

Mazel tov! What a lovely reminder how much life can change in a few short years ... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...