Monday, January 9, 2012

All It Takes Is One Song

One song on my ipod during a flight taken in January can transport me to Nova Scotia in a minute.  It might be an Irish tune or some folk song by Spirit of The West or The Rankins but I can hear a song, look at the calendar and sigh because it is only 5 months until I get to live that other life...one completely different yet totally familiar....even unattended for nine months at a time.

While reading a memoir on the plane I wondered how my own  memoir would read.  This weekend would be in it and so would Nova Scotia.  This weekend our youngest moved to NYC.  I flew up to help her settle....at least into her apartment.  I can't control everything!  This weekend made me realize how sheltered I was at her age ( I would never have been as brave/savvy/talented/prepared as she is), maybe my memoir would mention that and how important we thought it was to expose our children to the world and broaden their horizons. This weekend will serve as a launching pad for our LG in her new life in the city...and when she feels lonely or lost or overwhelmed, at least her apartment will be an oasis, a home, organized ( it was when I left), unchaotic? and a place for her to just be herself in that awesome, crazy, busy city.

The Big Apple

The chaos....


Order?

Any way, another song, Dire Straits "Your Latest Trick" is playing on my ipod while I fly home and it brings me back to my first trip abroad at the ripe old age of 33. Back when you didn't have to strip naked to go through security and shampoo and toothpaste were not lethal weapons and were allowed to travel with you on the plane.   I  listened to that CD all the way across the ocean on that trip and did not sleep because I was so excited about finally realizing one of my dreams...going to Europe!  I learned that the jet lag from not sleeping on the plane is monumental!  To this day I can't hear that song without thinking of that trip! 

What songs can transport you to another place and time?

1 comment:

Avatar aang .. said...

Where is this place ? the city looks good :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...