Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Control

A little God wink today for all the control freaks out there.  Maybe it is something we all need to be reminded of. Maybe it is my gift to you today and maybe it is just something to give you a bit of a giggle.

I was out running some Christmas errands today.  Far be it from me to do anything well ahead of time when I can wait until the last minute.  I was picking up a gift for a gift exchange, getting the ingredients I needed to make the appetizer I am bringing to the gift exchange party and throwing in some random gift shopping for the family.  I was not necessarily rushed, and it was not an altogether unpleasant experience unless you factor in the fact that it is still 80 degrees, and I wore as mask for all of these errands...bah humbug.  I almost felt productive.

I was on my way home and noticed how poorly I had timed my return.  It was now "school zone" time and in the one-giant-school-zone I pass through to get home there are 4 schools that let out at varying times.  Traffic is a nightmare from 2:35-4.  As I approached one particularly backed up light and looked ahead at a solid line of cars on the other side of the light going nowhere, I decided to be clever and scoot into the right lane and turn onto the cross street and go home the back way.  I figured it would be forever before I made it through the light and then through the next light before I got to my turn.  It was smooth sailing until I reached the front of the high school and the traffic guard held up his hand for me to stop. I sat there as 25-30 school buses proceeded to pull out in front of me...one after another, they just kept on coming out of the school!


As I sat there, waiting for an eternity watching the yellow line in front of me get longer and longer, the song on the radio came into my consciousness and I listened to the lyrics.  The name of the song was Control by For King and Country and listening to the lyrics I just had to laugh at myself for trying to be so clever and take control of my situation.  I must have needed to slow down, sit for a few minutes and listen.  Even if it was just traffic...I was reminded that at the end of the day, I am not in control of it all and I just have to trust there is a higher power at work in my life.  

I give up control, 
Body, mind, and soul, 
Can't do this on my own, alone, no
I give up control


1 comment:

Carol said...

Adding the lyrics at the end gave me goosebumps. Yes, we are not in control of everything, as hard as we try!! Good reminder, Lisa!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...