Thursday, February 15, 2018

Swimming in the Deep End

I must write while it is fresh.....
I am attempting something I have attempted to do several times in the past.  I have attempted to push myself outside my comfort level, creatively and/or academically.  I am neither creative or academic but I can fake my way through both.  Tonight I may have finally pushed myself outside my comfort/ability level.

In a moment of boredom and need of getting out of the cul-de-sac I signed up for a Street Photography class.  I have walked on many streets around the world and always want to take better, more interesting photographs.  Why not take a class and learn?   Hey...I just visited the Museum of Modern Art in NYC and feel all cultured and artistic so maybe I can do this.
I've seen cool photography...maybe I can produce cool photography!
Tonight was my first class....I am so out of my league.  Of course, it is my first class...but from the introductions and conversations in class....yup...me and my Sony a5000 are out of our league.  There were names flying around the class that I had never heard of and others were nodding and saying, "Oh, yeah...".  I was saying, "??? gotta Google that one!"  The learning curve in this class may match the curve in my Spanish 2 class.  Only problem is...I can't look up "how to take awesome street photos with my dinky camera" in a book or online while I could just study my brains out and learn Spanish.

My insecurities are raring their ugly heads tonight I tell you folks! 
Stay tuned for street photos from the rodeo...give me strength!

2 comments:

Carol said...

You make me laugh! Those people nodding their heads and "appearing" to know what is being talked about and posers! (I say in love & support!). I believe the key to an awesome photograph is to see and capture the opportunity. You've taken at least one photography class before, so you know focus, speed, light and (surely there is something else, but since I haven't taken the class....). Use what you've got. I can't wait to see what you create!

All of the above is me saying, "The most expensive golf club won't make the shot, you will" Shoot away, cousin!!

Lisa said...

Carol, you are too smart! The instructor did point out (hehe) that good photography is pouncing on "that" moment when you see it. I'll get over my equipment envy and will definitely learn and hopefully catch a few moments along the way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...