Thursday, August 18, 2016

Goodbye Brain

Before I begin, I love all of my sisters.  There is one though, with whom I share a brain, and it is the eve of her departure.  I am a bit sad to say the least.  I would feel sad if any of my sisters were leaving and they were the last to leave, but I am particularly sad for this departure...this year.  It signifies the beginning of the end.  The end of another magical, mystical, summer at the shore.  The end of long nights spend playing cards, watching the Olympics...or trash TV, doing the dishes after a delicious meal or just hanging together.  It is the end of having someone who "gets me" around whenever I need/want.  There aren't many people who just get you... look around.  She is the other half of my brain..the end of my sentence, the yin to my yang and since we live apart most of the year, being together for a month has been awesome!

Tonight we met on the beach, after her hellish day of cleaning, packing and detaching.  The clouds were perfect, the breeze was cool and sweet and the sun was setting.  She is a beach person and this was her last hurrah!  We then high tailed it to the farmhouse to take in the rest of the sunset.  It was bitter sweet.  I noticed how far the sun has moved on the horizon and it reminded me that the end is near.  Before I know it, I will be the one having that hellish day/week of cleaning and packing and disengaging and there will be no sisters to say goodbye to me and no one will miss me the way I will miss her when she leaves.  It will just be the end.  So, goodbye Brain!  It has been another great summer!  Thanks for the memories!
It just won't be the same....

1 comment:

Carol said...

My daughter notices a change in me when Kathie & Jeff left The Shore. I am sure everyone noticed a marked change in me when I returned from taking my kids to YHZ for their departure from The Shore. Amherst Shore is a very special place. Sacred to some of us. It is the memories, the HISTORY, of summers there with FAMILY. The place itself, with its rustic maritime beauty, is one thing. And, WE'VE been blessed with growing up here, with generations of family. We continue to migrate here, to stay connected with the Place as well as Family. Our siblings, who we once could not get away from, we miss because we no longer live together. We miss their company and companionship. We want our kids to know our siblings (and their kids), company and companionship. We are so very, very lucky our ancestors found this spot and created this tradition. Such a treasure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...