Saturday, January 29, 2022

A Tale of Two Seasons

It occurred to me tonight as we were on a shuttle from Main Street in Park City to our hotel, that I do have to thank the pandemic for one thing.  Because, really, what is a pandemic if nothing good can come of it?  We are here on at least our 20th ski trip to the area, yes, we are thankful!  We have been coming here since either 1996 or 97, in ski season.  Until the year 2020, I only knew this place as a ski destination. A place covered in snow with trees all lit up with white lights at night and people bundled up, full of life, after a day of fresh air on the ski slopes.  I had friends who spent their summers here and raved about what a great place it was in the summer and told us we should visit sometime in the summer... but we spend our summers in Nova Scotia.  That is...until 2020.  
The Park City I knew and loved!
In the year 2020, we were unable to go to Nova Scotia for the summer and we came here instead.  We did the same thing in 2021, until we could finally get into Canada. They were all correct!  This is a great place to be in the summer.  Being able to experience both summer and winter in Park City has been a real treat.  Tonight, we were remembering riding our bikes to town for a 4th of July parade.  We ate dinner very close to where we parked our bikes, it brought back fond memories.  I like the fact that I now know what those golf courses look like when they are green...and white!  I like that I know what the ski slopes look like in the off season. 


The view from my bike last summer. 
 I'll be skiing those mountains this week!
  
Having come here for several weeks, two summers in a row, I feel differently towards Park City.  She has so many different dimensions now.  I know what the views out of the church windows look like in two seasons.  Believe me, those windows are inspirational in either season!  I know the buzz in town at night after a great day on the ski slopes in addition to the buzz on the streets in the summer on the weekend during Park Silly Market.  I have now played golf on those courses that I look down on from the ski slopes.  I rode my bike on those now icy, snowy streets last summer and ate meals at the same places under fans and now heat lamps. 
I know this may not be news to some of you who live in places with distinctly different seasons, but for this Texas girl, it is a big deal.  Tonight, I was very happy to feel a kinship with my 2nd or 3rd "home"...at least for the last 2 years.  Thank you, pandemic.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...